Top 6 tips to save money on fuel costs
- Loose the weight. The heavier your car is the more power it needs to drive it. In a nut shell loose any excess weight you have in your car, golf clubs, tools, kitchen sink. Even a full tank of petrol weighs the car down and ends up burning more fuel.
- Pump it up. The tyres that is, keeping your cars tyre pressure at the maximum recommended level reduces the resistant and allows the car to roll more freely. Also make sure you have your wheel alignment checked this can slow you down if it is not correct.
- It’s all down to aerodynamics. Make sure you keep your windows and sunroof closed when driving (open interior air vents), having your cars windows down causes a huge amount of drag on the car and burns up unnecessary fuel.
- Easy on the Juice. Try to accelerate smoothly and avoid high revs in low gears. The trick is to get up to the high gears as soon as you can from starting off. DO NOT allow the car to coast in neutral, coasting in neutral burns up allot more fuel than coasting in gear with your foot off the accelerator.
- Easy on the brakes. Although braking has to be done try and avoid it as much as possible as it burns fuel. If you are coming up to a set of lights, drop the gears and try and work it so you stop freely without having to break. You could even turn it into a game.
- Keeping cool isn’t always cool. Although using your Air Conditioning is less costly than having your windows down it still requires power to work and in smaller calls can increase fuel consumption by up to 10 per cent.
Tags: car compare, Cheap Fuel, Fuel Costs, Fuel Tips, How to Save Money, Lower Costs, motor news, Petrol Prices